Sunday, August 15, 2010

Single White Stripe ;)

''I think we would go ahead with the show even if I had to sit out there on the front porch with a guitar by myself'' -Jack White ( The White Stripes)

Okay so it's not like i've listened to a lot of White Stripes so far......but this guy blew my mind. One of my friends made me watch this Documentary called 'It Might Get Loud', which was about three guitarists getting together and talking about the beauty that is the Electric Guitar, and jamming of course.

So i start watching this movie, going all ga-ga watching Jimmy Page (lead guitar, Led Zeppelin) in the cast and stuff....and then i start to pay attention to the others.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!! This guy is friggin amazing. His philosophy and approach moved me. The movie had started with him assembling some random objects together, connecting them to an Amp(lifier)......and Voila! I could hear a great distorted riff! And He just says one simple sentecnce. "Who said you needed to buy a Guitar?"

So it started with that bomb that made me go "OMG''....and then it progressed to a greater stuff.

Jack was the youngest of ten children. This guy actually had his whole bedroom filled with Drum sets, Amplifiers, and all sorts of rock equipment. he moved his bed out to make space for all of it and slept on a foam mattress at an angle, every night, as long as his instruments were fine, so was he. But that's not all.

Jack just picks up any old guitar he finds, in whatever condition it may be, and finds something to play. He doesn't repair it, he just masters it. He makes the guitar dance to the tunes in his head. He said that the trick is to pick up a fight with an instrument, and then win it. He made this guitar once, which had a mouth organ inside it. You pull it out, play and put it back. Simple, yet no one had really modified a guitar like that before.

There was a lot of stuff in the documentary that made me think so hard, the stuff was absolutely overwhelming. But the one scene in there, that made the most powerful impact on me, was that of Jack at one of his gigs.....the guy was playing his electric.....and his fingers were literally bleeding ( They showed the guitar later, with blood stains all over its body) but he just continued playing as if nothing had ever happened. He was that immersed in music.
There are many things i don't know about Jack White. I only just found out about him in a movie. But what I do know is that he has changed the way I look at things. And as long as there are people like him, good and honest music will live on. Here's to Jack White. Dude, RESPECT !!! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment