Sunday, January 22, 2012

Identity?

Growing up, I was one of the millions of Army kids around the country. And I can safely say that we share one characteristic trait: A skewed sense of identity. I didn’t care if I was from a regular Tam-Brahm household. As far as I am concerned, I’m a nomad, an amalgamation of cultures. The question ‘Where are you from?’ has been the most difficult to answer. Well, I’m from a lot of places!

Each city I’ve lived in, I’ve fallen in love with it. There’s the initial adjustment issue..new people, new school, totally different atmosphere.. But then there become a few regular fixtures in my life. Soon, I can navigate the roads. The neighbourhood shopkeeper recognizes me. I know the specialties at the little bakery at the other end of the city. And I’m home again.

So, in me, I have a bit of Bangalore, Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai. And also the influences of my friends who are from far flung places across the country. I can relate to all of them, see through their perspective. And this, by far, has been the most valuable lesson I’ve learnt in my life. Cultural empathy.

I’ve never been bothered by the fact that I’m not a true-blue Tamilian in the sense of the word. Now that I’m living in Chennai, that doesn’t really work to my favour. ‘What sort of Tamilian are you?’ is something I hear all day. Well, not a regular one, I guess!

But what the heck! Y’kno what I am? I’m Indian.

0 comments:

Post a Comment